The Castle of Saint Fargeau is 1000 years old. In 980, Héribert, Auxerre’s bishop and biological son of King Hugues Capet, built a fortified hunting meeting place. From Vth to XVth century, the castle was owned by some famous families : Lords of Toucy, de Bar, and Charles VII’s famous silversmith, Jacques Coeur.
From 1453, Antoine de Chabannes built on the grounds of the old fortress the present castle with its pentagonal shape, flanked by six big towers.
In 1652, Anne-Marie Louise d’Orléans, the Grande Mademoiselle first cousin of king Louis XIV, was exiled for five years because of the Fronde. She settled in the Castle of Saint Fargeau. She brought architect Le Vau who produced with the Saint Fargeau Castle one of the finest example of French classicism.
The Lepeletier family bought the Castle in 1713.
The Castle of Saint Fargeau is one of the “characters” of Jean d’Ormesson’s novel “Au plaisir de Dieu”
Since 1979, the Castle of Saint Fargeau has been the property of Michel Guyot.
During the visit of the Castle, don’t miss :